Take advantage and refurbish your office now!
150K INSTANT TAX WRITE OFF!
Before June 30 2020
see below for more details
The Morrison Government has announced a $17.6 billion economic plan to keep Australians in jobs, and to keep businesses in business in light of the Coronavirus pandemic.
The Government has outlined an increase of $700M to the instant asset write off threshold from $30,000 to $150,000, and has also expanded eligibility to businesses with a turnover of less than $500M (up from $50M).
Put simply, if you were to buy carpet for your office that costs $50k, previously you would have had to depreciate it – now you can simply write it off.
If you were to refurbish your office for a cost of $202,000 you usually would be able to claim $35,000 in depreciation in the first year.
If we were to carry out the same fit-out today, you can receive an INSTANT TAX WRITE OFF OF 150K !
The remaining $50,000 relates to capital works items, like painting and plumbing, and will still need to be claimed at 2.5% per annum over a 40 year period.
There are five main points to consider:
- Businesses should ensure they have a detailed report of any fit-out costs to be carried out.
- When acquiring any new assets, businesses should try to keep the costs below $150,000.
- This generous bonus has an expiry date of June 30, 2020.
- Assets costing over $150,000 can still be depreciated but not claimed as an outright deduction. Businesses with a turnover of less than $500 million will be able to deduct an additional 50 per cent of the asset cost in the year of purchase.
- This accelerated depreciation (point 4) will expire on the 30th of June 2021.
Some examples of what may qualify for an immediate tax deduction include carpet, desks, blinds, work stations and a lighting upgrade.